Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Age Ain't Nothin' But a Number - HoneyMilk Blog

As some of you may know, I love HoneyMilk! I was introduced to it through my involvement with Marathon Makeover. It tastes a million times better than Muscle Milk and provides a good amount of protein post workout. But I digress, there will be another post about HoneyMilk down the road, but this post is about something else. HoneyMilk asked guest bloggers to write a 300 word blog about fitness, nutrition, etc. and it needed to include pictures. Below is the post I submitted to HoneyMilk about how awesome my mom is. As a bonus they are sending me a free case of their product. SCORE!

"I'm too old to start running now." I call BS on this lame excuse and here's why:

Early last year my fifty-six year old mother decided she wanted to start running. In the thirty years I had known this woman, she had rarely kept a workout regime longer than a few weeks. She has always been thin and never really cared for exercise so, since her clothes continued to fit as they always had, why do something that really wasn't much fun anyway?

However, in January 2010, my mom, Betsy, bought herself some proper running shoes and made the decision she wanted to start running. In party because it was an activity she could enjoy with my sister and me. Fast-forward to today and my mom just completed her 2nd Hood to Coast Relay this past weekend, running a team with both my sisters and myself. Not to mention, she completed the Portland Marathon in less than 5 hours (her 2010 goal), multiple half marathons, and various other shorter races.

Just like those gross peas mom used to put on your plate as a kid, running can be more an acquired taste. Sometimes we fall in love with the sport as a young child, but for some of us, it takes years to "acquire" the taste for running. However, no matter what age you decide you are going to willingly take a helping of running, you are never too old to say, "I would like some more, please."






My mom cruising past the vineyards during the 2011 Fueled by Fine Wine 1/2 Marathon


My mom and I after our third legs of the 2011 Hood to Coast



My sister, Dana, my mom, and I after the 2010 Hood to Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment