Friday, October 28, 2011

ATTENTION: Motivation Has Gone MIA... HELP!

Oregon in the fall. Does it get better than that?

Wow, I can't believe I have gone over a month without blogging about something. Well, I feel I better get back on the wagon so to speak both with my blogging and my running. And for that matter my diet too. With the cold, rainy, and dreary weather comes a sudden lack of motivation to do much beyond sitting on the couch cuddled up in a hoodie, eating Halloween candy and watching Biggest Loser. Yes, I see the irony in this and yes, watching these people work their asses off should motivate me to do the same. Unfortunately it has not.

We have been fortunate enough to have experienced a few beautiful, sunny, crisp fall days here in Portland and I have tried taking every advantage of those few days we have been blessed with. Honestly I can't imagine a more perfect running day than when it is sunny and brisk out. To me that is running heaven. And although it seems the weather has been my motivating factor these days, the lack of having a race to keep my training "honest" has definitely been the down fall of my running. I have a Turkey Run on Thanksgiving planned (10k) and a half marathon in December, but they seem so far away that the urgency to train hasn't set in yet.

Anyway, after this week I am removing all the Halloween candy (yes, even the hidden bag of Twix in my office) from my diet and setting a training plan to actually stick with for the dreaded rainy season of Portland. Maybe I will throw a few more races on the calendar to keep me motivated when the weather just won't cooperate.

So what do you do when you lose motivation as the days get shorter and the weather becomes less forgiving? I can use all the help I can get right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment